Pulled BBQ Chicken In The Instant Pot (THM:S, E, or FP options!)
I’m a Texas girl.
I may live in Northeastern Minnesota now (where many think ketchup is too spicy), but don’t let that fool you — tacos, chips and salsa, steak, and good bar-b-que are still my love language.
And since I can’t find any real BBQ for quite some distance, I’m forced to make it myself. Hence, this Pulled BBQ Chicken in the Instant Pot!
Lacking a smoker, some hickory wood, and a hot summer day, this BBQ scratches the itch. 🙂
Unlike Texas BBQ, however, it has no added sugar — so it’s low-carb and friendly on your blood sugar (assuming you don’t put it on a white bread bun, obs).
For Trim Healthy Mamas, this main dish can be used in any fuel setting — S, E, or FP — depending on what you pair it with!
Enjoy this Southern favorite of ours made super easy, tender, and juicy in your Instant Pot!
Pulled BBQ Chicken In The Instant Pot
Here’s what you need:
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or thighs, preferably organic (Use only chicken breasts for THM:FP; use a combination of breasts and thighs for THM:S.)
- 3/4 cup bone broth
- 7 ounces organic tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons “Dietz Sweet” or 2 doonks stevia extract
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon natural liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons organic maple flavoring
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
Here’s how to do it:
Place the chicken into the Instant Pot.
Whisk the remaining sauce ingredients together in a medium-size bowl until smooth. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Press the “Poultry” button, and adjust the time to 24 minutes.
As soon as it beeps, manually release pressure. Using tongs, remove the cooked chicken from the Instant Pot. Manually shred the meat with 2 forks. Or, for a faster, easier way to shred, put the chicken into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and turn on low speed.
Trim Healthy Mama Serving Suggestions:
In a THM:E setting, make a BBQ chicken sandwich with some sprouted or sourdough bread. (Click here for a FREE recipe for a no-knead artisan einkorn sourdough!) Additionally, serve the chicken atop a baked sweet potato, like I did. 😉
For a THM:S meal, skip the bread/bun, and add a side of cole slaw made with full-fat mayo, a big salad with full-fat dressing, or some steamed broccoli and butter.
To keep this in Fuel Pull mode, use only chicken breast (not thighs too). And serve with either the FP Swiss Bread or Wonder Wraps from the THM Cookbook! A side salad with my Creamy Probiotic Ranch works too!