Pumpkin pie is a traditional dessert that always goes down a treat! The thick, creamy filling cased inside a buttery, flaky crust is perfect for Thanksgiving, as well as other events in the fall.
Pumpkin pie is a well-loved, classic dessert, but what can you do if you, or your guests, have dairy allergies?
Don’t worry, because this recipe for a dairy-free pumpkin pie will save the day!
You’ll be pairing warm, quintessential pumpkin pie spices with a sweet maple sugar crust. This version is also made in an Instant Pot, so it’s incredibly easy and simple to put together. The result is a unique, but tasty twist on this fall-appropriate dessert.
So, get your kitchen tools ready! This pumpkin pie recipe is bound to impress your loved ones at any gathering.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie
Instant pot recipes are always effortless and simple to put together. Classic pumpkin pies can take a lot of time to prepare, but an instant pot makes the recipe a lot easier!
The pie involves traditional pumpkin pie ingredients, like sugar, pumpkin pie spices, and eggs. The difference with this recipe is that we’ll be swapping some ingredients for dairy-free options, making this perfect for anyone with dairy allergies!
You’ll be swapping butter for palm oil shortening and milk for full-fat coconut milk. It’s important to use full-fat coconut milk here, as lighter options won’t give the pie its rich, hearty feel.
You’ll also need a trivet to place inside your Instant Pot, as well as a springform pan to make it easy to release the baked pie.
Ingredients For Dairy-Free Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie
If you’re making this pumpkin pie recipe around the holidays, your kitchen is most likely stocked with these traditional ingredients already!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to bake this dairy-free, instant pot pumpkin pie.
For The Maple Syrup Crust
- Palm oil shortening – two tablespoons (25 grams): If not dairy free, you can swap this for grass-fed butter. Make sure you keep some on the side for greasing the pie dish.
- Jaggery or maple sugar – two tablespoons (40 grams): You can swap this for a diet substitute if making sugar-free
- Blanched almond flour – a cup (96 grams): Make sure that this is a fine consistency to avoid clumps.
For The Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Pumpkin puree – a cup (225 grams): Don’t confuse this with pumpkin pie filling, as this already has extra ingredients added.
- Maple syrup – two tablespoons (40 grams): Can substitute for diet maple syrup for a sugar-free option.
- Pastured egg – one: Beaten at room temperature.
- Full-fat coconut milk – half a cup (125 grams): Can swap for grass-fed cream if not dairy free.
- Orange zest – from one orange: Adds a touch of zest to the recipe.
- Vanilla extract – one teaspoon: Just a touch to enhance other flavors.
- Spices – ¼ teaspoon of each: Ground cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves work best.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Now that we’ve covered the ingredients, let’s get into the recipe!
You’ll only need a little over an hour to bake this pie, but keep in mind that you’ll need to let it chill in the fridge before serving.
This Instant Pot pumpkin pie is thick, creamy, and completely dairy free! Your family and friends are bound to love the mix of fall spices, as well as the sweet, buttery maple syrup crust.
Follow the method below to bake this pumpkin pie!
Making The Crust
- Step 1: Use a little ghee or shortening to grease a 6-7 inch springform pan. Make sure that this can fit within your Instant Pot. Put this to the side.
- Step 2: Transfer all of the maple syrup crust ingredients to a mixing bowl, then stir to combine.
- Step 3: Place the crust mixture inside the greased pan, then press with your hands to create a compressed crust at the base. You don’t need to press the dough on the pan’s sides, but make sure that it creates a denser crust at the bottom.
- Step 4: Place the crust in the freezer and leave for 15 minutes, as you make the pumpkin pie filling.
Making The Filling
- Step 5: Set aside a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or a big mixing bowl. Mix all of the filling’s ingredients in this vessel. Make sure that the blend is fully even and smooth.
- Step 6: Take your frozen pan out of the freezer, then pour the pie filling into the pan.
Baking The Pie
- Step 7: Cover the springform pan with a portion of unbleached parchment, then fix it in place with some aluminum foil.
- Step 8: Pour a cup of water inside the Instant Pot.
- Step 9: Place the Instant Pot’s trivet inside the vessel.
- Step 10: Carefully place the pie, covered with parchment and foil, on top of it.
- Step 11: Fasten the Instant Pot’s lid, ensuring the steam release valve is closed.
- Step 12: Select the ‘Manual’ switch, then set the time to 35 minutes.
- Step 13: Wait for the Instant Pot to beep, then select ‘Keep Warm/Cancel’. Let the pot naturally free its pressure for 15 minutes.
- Step 14: After 15 minutes, release the pot’s leftover pressure, then take the pot’s lid off.
- Step 15: Wear your oven mitts, then with care, remove the trivet and pumpkin pie from the Instant Pot.
- Step 16: Keep the pie covered, then let it cool down to room temperature.
- Step 17: After the pie has cooled, remove its parchment and foil. Avoid dripping condensation onto the dessert.
- Step 18: Lightly run a knife around the pan’s sides. This will loosen the pie, making it easier to take out of the dish to serve.
- Step 19: Wipe any condensation from the foil and parchment, then put it back on top of the pumpkin pie.
- Step 20: Put the pie in the fridge to set overnight, or a minimum of four hours.
- Step 21: It’s ready! Enjoy chilled with coconut cream for a dairy-free option, or with dollops of cinnamon or vanilla-flavored ice cream.
This dairy-free pumpkin pie is best enjoyed chilled, as it makes the creamy filling seem extra decadent!
Here are some more serving suggestion ideas to make your pumpkin pie even better:
- Add a sprinkle of cookie crumbs or graham crackers over the top.
- Vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon will complement the spices in the pie.
- Serve a slice after mashed potatoes and roasted turkey for a Thanksgiving meal.
- Top with whipped cream and candy corn for a fall-appropriate dessert.
Now you know how to make a delicious pumpkin pie that’s also dairy free!
The instant pot makes this recipe so easy, as its pressure speeds up the baking process. It’s a great dessert to whip up around the holidays as its baking stage only lasts 35 minutes, saving you time for other tasks in the day!
This recipe is great for anyone with dairy or lactose sensitivities, as you’ll be swapping butter and milk for coconut milk and oil shortening. The pie is extremely delicious, even with these ingredient swaps – we promise you won’t be able to tell the difference!
If you’re considering preparing a quick and tasty pumpkin pie that is completely dairy free, this Instant Pot pumpkin pie recipe is a must for your recipe book!
- 11 Amazing Low-Fat Soup Recipes Recipes To Have On Any Day - May 20, 2023
- 10 Amazing Low Fat Potato Soup Recipes To Have On Any Day - May 18, 2023
- How Many Calories In Tomato Soup? - May 18, 2023